Mental Health First Aid Course
Pay and Register
Mental health first aid is the help provided to a person developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis.
The first aid is given until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis resolves.
What is the Standard Mental Health First Aid course?
The Standard Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course is based on the international MHFA Guidelines. These guidelines were developed using consensus of mental health consumers, carers and professionals from English-speaking developed countries.
The Standard MHFA course teaches members of the public how to assist someone who is developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis.
This is a 12-hour course (4 modules, each 3 hours) and follows the model that has been successful with conventional first aid. The delivery format is flexible. Course participants receive a copy of the Standard MHFA Manual to keep and a Certificate of Completion valid for 3 years.
MHFA Course Content
- Mental health problems in Malta
- Mental Health First Aid Action Plan
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
- Mental health crises
Crisis Situations Covered
- Person who is suicidal or engaging in self-injury
- Person having a panic attack
- Person who has experienced a traumatic event
- Person in a severe psychotic state
- Person with severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
- Person with aggressive behavior
We can offer tailored made courses for companies and organisations. For more information visit our Mental Health First Aid at the Workplace course page and Certified Mental Health First Aid Skilled Workplace initiative.
Who can attend a MHFA course?
Any interested adult can attend. This course is not a therapy or support group; rather it is an education course like anyone can attend a regular, standard First Aid Course.
- 4th and 11th November – Course to be held in Maltese (Saturdays – 0900 hrs till 1600 hrs)
- 17th and 20th November – Course to be held in Maltese (Friday and Monday – 0900 hrs till 1600 hrs)
All courses are held at Richmond Foundation Head Office, 424 St. Joseph High Road
St.Venera (see the map)
The cost of the 12 hour Standard Mental Health First Aid Course is €53 (this includes a €3 non-refundable processing fee). The cost includes MHFA Manual to keep and a Certificate of Completion valid for 3 years.
Registration and Payment
To book your participation contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or 21 22 4580